Critical acclaim from the press
- “The panache of a Merce Cunningham is in it, and the freedom taken by Isadora Duncan.” Die Rheinpfalz, Ludwigshafen, 2017
- “[…] the vulnerability of the continuous movement goes hand-in-hand with the grace of a creator at the height of his artistic powers.” Cinéma Le Clap, Québec, 2016
- “Sublime moments of a mature body which is always devoted to dance. Necessary steps from a young body to a body which has done thousands of dance moves.” Les Enfants du paradis, Québec, 2016
- “He reveals his body to full nudity, imposing his inexhaustible capacity.” Impact campus, Québec, 2016
- “A lone figure, torn between aggression, shame and despair – modern dance at its best.”
Westfälische Nachrichten, Münster, 2016
- “Rites will remain a landmark work in Navas’ career, one of a dancer with wealth of experience, who is fully engaged with his body and his mind in each of his dance steps.” Le Soleil, Québec, 2016
A few words about the show
Bearing the same signature as Miniatures and Personæ, this new solo show touches on themes of human fragility and finitude embedded in a powerful ritual that marks José Navas’ entering his fifties. It is a tribute to the road travelled thus far as he now reaps the fruits of maturity. Once again he is an open, unpretentious presence onstage, revealing the fragility of a man aware of his finite existence. In the company of Schubert, Dvořák, and Nina Simone, he observes the fleeting years, looks back at love affairs, seeks inner peace. With Stravinsky he proclaims his abiding passion for dance in a brilliant performance of the role of the Chosen One in The Rite of Spring. A dense, dramatic work full of lyricism and grace.
- Choreographer and dancer: José Navas
- Music: Anton Dvořák, Franz Schubert, Nina Simone, Igor Stravinsky
- Lighting design: Marc Parent
- Technical direction: Pierre Lavoie
- Costumes: Sonya Bayer
- Fabrication: L’Atelier de couture Sonya B.
- Length: 60 minutes
- World premiere: November 11, 2015, Danse Danse / Cinquième Salle de la Place des Arts (Montreal, Canada)
- Photos: Valerie Simmons, Nina Konjini
- Production: José Navas/Compagnie Flak
The Rite of Spring is a production of José Navas/Compagnie Flak in coproduction with Concertgebouw de Bruges (Belgium). This piece has also been supported by the International co-production assistance measure from the Conseil des arts et lettres du Québec.
This show has also benefitted from a creation residency at the Cinquième Salle of Place des Arts (Montreal, Canada).
Rites has been presented as European premiere in Brugge, Belgium, on March 15, 2017, at the Stadsschouwburg.