Winterreise | upcoming creation
A few words about the show
A contemporary dance and live music version of the song cycle Winterreise by Franz Schubert
Eager to relive the joy of dancing with live orchestra for his Rite of Spring and to deepen the dialogue with Schubert’s Winterreise that he began in Rites, José Navas is working on a creation based on that 24-part song cycle of Schubert. This piece, choreographed and performed by José Navas, will be presented in an adaptation for piano, voice and dance.
To see a solo performance by José Navas is to experience just how far dance can go to stir your spirit and soothe your soul. For his new creation, he was captivated by the desire to translate Schubert’s beloved song cycle into movement. Winterreise (Winter Journey), the composer’s final work before his death in 1829, is infused with operatic themes of tragedy that beautifully serve Navas’s own creative process as a maturing artist. This evocative performance beautifully intertwines the solo dancer with live piano and voice.
- Choreographer and dancer: José Navas
- Music: Winterreise by Franz Schubert, lyrics by Wilhelm Müller
- Musicians: Francis Perron (piano), Jacques-Olivier Chartier (tenor)
- Lighting design: Marc Parent
- Costumes: Sonya Bayer, L’Atelier de couture Sonya B.
- Length: ± 1h10
- Production: Compagnie Flak
- Photos: Damian Siqueiros, Nina Konjini
- World premiere in Europe (date to be announced soon), January 2020
- Danse Danse, Cinquième salle, Montreal, QC: February 11–15 & 18–22, 2020
- Théâtre du Vieux-Terrebonne, Terrebonne, QC: February 29, 2020
- Théâtre des Deux Rives, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC: March 8, 2020
- Centre Culturel de l’Université de Sherbrooke, Salle Maurice-O’Bready, Sherbrooke, QC: March 24, 2020
- National Arts Centre, Ottawa, ON: April 30, May 1 and 2, 2020